Friday, January 1, 2016

2015 Year Review

I keep pretty meticulous track of all of my data and with my spreadsheet getting its final formatting at the beginning of the year, I now have a (my first ever complete) documentation of a years worth of uniformly formatted and logged data. In other words, the opportunities are endless.

First off, some general volume totals for running,
     2,489 miles
     878,514 feet of climbing
     720:37 (30 days) time on feet

for biking,
     1391 miles
     feet of climbing
     time in the saddle

For summits,
     246 summits, 46 unique
     37 Fourteeners, 15 unique
     13 Thirteeners, 12 unique
     11 Twelvers, 11 unique
     126 Green,
     19 Bear
     4 South Boulder
     5 Flagstaff
     27 Sanitas

For scrambling.
     261 total routes, 46 unique
     5.3 average difficulty rating

In comparison to last year, I believe every single statistic is better excluding South Boulder Peak summits. I climbed over 500,000 more feet, ran 1,100 more miles and was out for 240 more hours. It would be silly to go through the improvement in each facet, but I'm very proud of the year I had. The performance I would say is my best would be my all-out effort up and down Longs in 2:35 (although, I know I can still take 5-10min off), hardest day would be Achonee to Navajo traverse (purely due to a serious absence of calories). The worst day (where I was actually going for something better, not just a training day) would be when I tried the Double Quinfecta, again largely due to a lack of nutrition/hydration. It seems I need to work on my nutrition and hydration strategies, which often simply means bringing them.
The Little Bear-Blanca traverse was absolutely one of my favorite days this year.
Looking back I also feel like I sort of lost a sense of direction or any goal to work specifically towards. I was very set on giving a go at the Chicago Basin in-a-day route, but when I got down there, reported snow conditions forced me to change my plans and I never established a new goal. I'm all for getting out and simply enjoying myself, but I feel like I could have done something really cool this year, and instead sort of squandered it on several kind-of cool things. That being said, I'm starting to plan out next year from a high level view. I'm thinking only 1 or 2 races, but a few bigger objectives to always keep in mind. Without giving away the whole plan, I 'd like to do a big birthday run (which will be mostly hiking, big surprise), a flat, low-landed and swampy long actual run (Mississippi 50), then spend most summer weekends memorizing routes in the Sawatch to put together one hopefully successful Nolan's 14 effort in late August or early September, after which a Tour de Flatirons would end things nicely. Lastly would be another go at a 100 miler, of course, in the form of a fun-run.
A basin to someday be traversed, but hopefully a bit higher by a more direct route.

2 comments:

  1. That is elite status stats right there my friend. I think I'm moving away from the overpopulated city runs and moving towards true running adventures. I already told the wife I want to hit Humphreys which is the highest Mtn in AZ and I want to hit something in the grand canyon. No race entry fee or medals, just the joy from the accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is elite status stats right there my friend. I think I'm moving away from the overpopulated city runs and moving towards true running adventures. I already told the wife I want to hit Humphreys which is the highest Mtn in AZ and I want to hit something in the grand canyon. No race entry fee or medals, just the joy from the accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete